Lightning’s Stroke

From The Nashville Tennessean, Aug 12, 1890

Aug 12, 1890, The Nashville Tennessean pg. 6

LIGHTNING’S STROKE
Delivered With Deadly Effect
in Weakley County.
One Man Instantly Killed and Others Rendered lnsane.
A. Negro Man Stricken Speechless- The
Agonized Wife Who Vainly Tried
to Restore Her Dead.

From reliable parties your correspondent learns the following concerning the result of last Saturday’s storm about three miles from Palmersville, a small village, twelve miles from Dresden, in the northeastern part of Weakley County. Mr. Erastus Webb and a number of h!s neighbors have formed a beef club, the members alternately furnishing a beef to be divided among the members. Saturday afternoon the club was slaughtering a beef at the farm of Mr. Webb under a large tree not far from his residence when a storm came up, accompanied by severe lightning and wind, Mr. Webb was heard telling one of his neighbors that his horse had broken loose and the man started to catch it. He had gotten but a short distance away when lightning struck the tree he had left and all the men under it were felled to the earth, the man who had gone to catch his horse being the only one that escaped a serious shock.

He returned to his companions and found Mr. Webb dead,  some lying as if dead, and one man, named Pentecock, was found standing with the butcher-knife clinched in his hand, but his mind seemed dazed and he was unable to speak.

Mrs. Webb was sent for and came running with restoratives, which she at once applied to her husband, who she thinks breathed a few times. Webb leaves six children and was a prominent man in his neighborhood.

George McWherter, who was severely shocked, has lost his mind completely. Mr. Eanes’ hat, which was on his head, was consumed by the lightning.

A negro who was helping had his clothes completely burnt from his body, but, strange to say, was not killed.

Mr. Webb was buried yesterday afternoon. Another man, whose name could not be ascertained, has, it is thought, had his mind seriously impaired.

Special thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN

Donoho School 1939 – 1940

Shown are students at Donoho School during the last year the school was in service. The school was located in District Number One at the intersection of Glover Road, Donoho Levee Road and Austin Springs Road.

Students shown are (L-R):

  • first row – E.D. McClain, Howard Fagan, Hermon Mitchell and John Turbeville
  • second row – Valda Jean Turbeville, Mattie McClain, Francis Davis and Viola Suiter
  • third row – Edna Earl Dublin
  • fourth row – Helen Henderson, Ruth Mitchell, Mildred Davis and Imogene Henderson
  • top of photo – Florence Mary Donoho, who served as school teacher during the final year of service at Donoho School.

Special thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN

Crash!

May, 16th 1984 – Seen is an automobile accident in downtown Palmersville in 1984. An Oldsmobile (right) driven by Kenneth Moore with passenger six year old Ben Moore, and a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500 operated by Tim Edenfield collided at the intersection of TN State Highways 190 and 89. Moore’s vehicle came to rest on Workmans Grocery storefront. Seen in the background is Oliver’s Service Station. Occupants of both vehicles sustained minor injuries

Thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN

Fairest of the Fair

On Saturday Sept 27, 1975 Miss Sherry Glison was crowned Miss Fairest of the Fair at the Palmersville Community Fair.

Other members of the royalty were Miss Shelia Gatewood, first Maid, Miss Stacie Fagan, second Maid, Miss Jackie Moore, first Alternate and Miss Barbara Barkhanusen second Alternate

“Fairest of the Fair” court of the 45th Annual Palmersville Community Fair held Sept, 30th 1972.

Fairest of the Fair, Miss Julie Brann – 1st Maid, Miss Mary Lois McClain – 2nd Maid, Miss Lafonda Westbrooks – 1st Alternate, Miss Robbie Sue Ainley – 2nd Alternate, Miss Laura Jane Robertson

Thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN

Palmersville c. 1925

Palmersville, TN ( circa 1925)

Seen are the only remaining building left in operation after the destructive fire that destroyed most of Palmersville in 1923.

The concrete building was a General Merchandise store operated by Charlie Pentecost and Joe B. McWherter. The two story building was operated by Dr. R.M. Biggs, his merchandise included groceries, dry goods and a pharmacy. Later the post office was moved into this building.

In 1937 these two building we also destroyed by fire and the town Palmersville was then moved to it’s present day location.

Photo looking south east along the Latham highway (going east) to present day crossroads top of hill.

Thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN

The Biggs House

The Biggs House as seen circa 1915

Front row (l to r) – Annabel Blakemore, Ruth Biggs, Ada Mae McWherter, Grethen McWherter

Back row (l to r) – Josephine Atkins, Dr. George Biggs, Lillian Atkins, Bessie Biggers and Lela Biggers, identity of man in buggy unknown

Located on Latham highway and the former home of Anna Jane Copeland, the Biggs House was a landmark in Palmersville having survived the big fire of 1923 that destroyed most of old Palmersville.

The home was demolished in 2018 after falling into disrepair.

Thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN.

Basketball Teams of 1936

Palmersville High School Boys and Girls Basketball teams of 1936

The names are not known in order:

  • Mary Jane Kennedy (captain)
  • Valma Simmons
  • Tom Tyson (captain)
  • Duke Crews
  • Ercell Smeithwick
  • Leah Mae Pentecost
  • Max Kilgore
  • Ruth Glynn Stephenson
  • Barnie Harrison
  • Douglas McClain
  • Ruth Killebrew
  • James Rawls
  • Helin Simmons
  • Scott Moore
  • Estille Wilkinson
  • Charles Simmons
  • Janet Pentecost
  • Mr. J. H. Elam
  • Mr. F. D. Pentecost

Palmersville’s New School!

Palmersville, TN Oct. 21st, 1921, The new $10,000 Palmersville School

The building received two expanded wings (additional rooms) in the following years. The structure served as Palmersville’s High School for 59 years, demolished to make way for a new modern school building in 1980.

And here it is in the late 1960s:

Thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN

The Bandit Bill McDougal – 1860s

All courts suspended sessions during the Civil War for various lengths of time. In this period of time, a notorious bandit and his gang were in Weakley County. His name was Bill McDougal, who was born in Palmersville. He would not rob the people of his home county, and the citizens of Weakley County would not hesitate to call on him to help against bushwhackers.

McDougal rode a trained show horse that was said could perform almost impossible feats. One day when he found a crowd of people on the Courthouse Square he started to ride his horse around a large sycamore tree that stood near the courthouse. He began to yell and shoot at the tree as he rode around it, and when the gunfire ceased it was discovered that he had shot his name into the tree.

Weakley County Courthouse – 1854

He then proceeded to ride his horse into the courthouse, up the stairs and into the courtroom where he fired four bullets into the wall. When he and his horse came out of the courthouse, he quietly rode away. For several years he continued to alarm the people of Weakley County with similar feats.

Tennessee County History Series – By Virginia Vaughn

Thanks to Robert G Reynolds of Palmersville, TN