Sympathy is extended to the families of
Eddie McClain – Class of 1962 – who died February of 2015
James W. “Bill” Brann – Class of 1943 – who died February of 2015
Glenn Hugh Smethwick – Class of 1964 – who died March 2, 2015
Sympathy is extended to the families of
Eddie McClain – Class of 1962 – who died February of 2015
James W. “Bill” Brann – Class of 1943 – who died February of 2015
Glenn Hugh Smethwick – Class of 1964 – who died March 2, 2015
First, a little background information. The 1850 U.S. Census was the first census taken with names of the head of household plus names of all family members. Earlier census records gave only the names of the head of the household and a count of how many males and females in each household. Census records are taken every ten years and are now available to the public through 1940, with the exception of 1890. The 1890 census was partially destroyed by fire; the remaining portions were deemed insufficient and apparently discarded.
When looking at the U. S. Census records, you will fine the information given at the top of each page includes the date, the state, the county, the town or district, and the name of the census taker. In rural areas where there was not a recognized town, sometimes the “town” would be listed as a store, a post office or a place where voting took place. In 1860, 1870, and 1880 some of the locations listed in our neck of the woods were Black Oak, Elm Tree, and Abernathys. At the time of the census taking, everyone would have known exactly where these places were, but decades later historians and genealogists are left wondering.
That brings us to Elm Tree. Where was it? We know that Elm Tree was in the First District of Weakley County. Elm Tree had a post office from March of 1852 until August 31,1905 when service was discontinued and moved to Palmersville. Following is a list of Elm Tree Postmasters and the date of their appointment.
Elm Tree is shown on a 1877 Postal Route Map approximately five or six miles due north of Palmersville and between Palmersville and Lynville, KY on the north side of the North Fork of the Obion River. In 1889, when the citizens of Austin Springs applied for a Post Office, the Elm Tree Post Office was noted to be approximately seven miles southeast of Austin Springs.
From these examples we can determine the location of Elm Tree was north of the river and south of the KY/TN state line!
Ruth Elaine McClain who resides in Memphis, recently shared some of her memories of the store at Elm Tree. She recalls that her grand-father Will Williams (1871-1936) ran a general store where the Elm Tree post office was located. There was also a saw mill powered by a water wheel nearby on the North Fork of the Obion River. She remembers seeing relics of the bridge that spanned the river and states that after the Elm Tree post office closed, the place was known as “Williams Mill.”
Miss McClain remembers going to her grandfather’s store as a young child and also riding in a buggy to visit him on his sick bed. She recalls there were show cases in the store eight to ten feet long, about waist high, with glass tops and fronts so you could view the men’s and women’s hats, purses, neckties, and all kinds of things inside. There was also a great big wood barrel that had loose crackers inside.
Miss McClain’s parents, Chiron (Williams) and Roy McClain, later told their children stories about going to Hickman, KY in a wagon to get supplies for the store off the River Boats on the Mississippi River.
On a current map of Weakley County, Elm Tree would be located in the northeast corner of the county between Courtney Road and the river. ( Imagine crossing the bridge to a now abandoned road which would have connected to Webb Road.) Generally, the whole community would have been referred to as Elm Tree.
We sincerely thank Miss McClain for making Elm Tree more realistic for us.
Now, if we could just determine-where was Black Oak?
When volunteers unlock the doors at the Historical Society’s buildings on Friday afternoon, we never know what or who to expect. On one cold, snowy day this past winter, two dogs were warming themselves against the front door and were very reluctant to move. Some days are lonely–nary a soul shows up. One day, a long tour bus (something like Dolly Parton might own) pulled up and parked in front and a group of visitors from the Portland and Castalian Springs, TN area visited.
Recently John and Shirley Fiery and their daughter from Sapulpa, OK came by and asked if we had any information on William James Burnett who had lived in Palmersville in the late 1880s. Of course, we did!
William James Burnett was born September 1850 in Virginia to William F. and Ruth (Giles) Burnett. William F. Burnett died in 1850. Ruth then married Edward Preston Hodges in 1860. In 1866, William James, his mother, and his step-father came to Weakley County.
W. J. worked as a day laborer on a farm for a couple of years, and in 1869 he formed a partnership with Dr. G. L. Brooks and opened a grocery business in Palmersville and later added dry goods to the stock.
W.J. married Martha Cordelia Ridgway, daughter of James Marion Ridgway and Sarah Ann (McWherter) Ridgway, in December of 1870. They were parents of seven known children: Effie, Annie Bell (who died at one year), Bolivar Bates, Birch C., Severa Bell, Blanche, and Brooks G.
In 1877 after Mr. Brooks died , W. J. Burnett sold his interest in the grocery and dry goods business.
Two years later, Burnett returned to the dry goods business and partnered with Calvin O. Gatewood and T.J. Collier in Palmersville. In 1881 he sold his interest in the business and purchased 305 acres of land near Palmersville. He later increased his land holdings to 640 acres and gave considerable attention to stock raising. In 1883, Burnett partnered with Felix Grundy Eanes in the tobacco business.
Sometime between 1880 and 1900, Martha C. Burnett died, and W.J. Burnett and children left Weakley County and moved to the Indian Territory which would later become Oklahoma. Apparently he was a man of good business ability, as he is listed in the 1900 Census as a banker and his son Bolivar Bates was a clerk in the bank. Burnett built a grand house in Sapulpa–the grandest in Oklahoma he said. W. J. Burnett died in 1903 and was buried at the Old Sapulpa Cemetery in Sapulpa, Oklahoma.
One story was told that Bolivar Bates Burnett made his fortune in the oil business in Oklahoma; he later lost it and committed suicide in New York City in 1925.
The Fireys now own this grand house and operate Miss Scarlett’s Tea Room there. It is also available for renting out for special occasions. Check out their website. www.burnettmansion.com
The board of directors of the Palmersville Historical Society is pleased to announce the recent acquisition of the two-story building on Oliver Road which previously housed the Palmersville Masonic Lodge and the Palmersville Baptist Churches.
The Palmersville Masonic Lodge, chartered in 1869, closed December 2014 and its remaining members merged with another lodge.
Although our plans for the building are still in the discussion stage, our first priority will be the preservation of this historical building. Maintaining and preserving the nearly 100 year old building will be costly (roof, for example), but we are hopeful that both present and previous residents of Palmersville who have memories tied to the building will help us out.
The Masonic Lodge requested that the Historical Society preserve the portrait collection of early lodge members. After completion of cleaning and repairing, these portraits will be on permanent display at our building.
Members of the Class of 1965 will soon have the privilege of celebrating their 50 year reunion. Graduates are
Their sponsor was Mr. A. B. Austin.
The Principal was Mr. Carl J. McDaniel.
Other teachers include Mrs. Brann, Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Fesmire, Mrs. Mary N. Pentecost, and Coach Jerry Rawls.